Mental disorders can lead to changes in a person’s emotions, thoughts and/or behaviors. They can lead to pervasive and ongoing symptoms that have the potential to impact children’s and adolescents’ schoolwork, friendships, sleeping or eating habits and interests in normal activities. Symptoms of mental disorders can influence a teen’s behavior, thoughts, emotions, personal habits, personality, and/or social relationships.
If left untreated, mental health disorders in teens can have serious consequences on their health. Therefore, it is imperative to get them treated at a certified teen mental health rehab. Mental health facilities for teens offer a dynamic and supportive environment to adolescents struggling with a variety of mental health concerns and substance addiction.
Some factors can increase a teen’s risk of developing a mental disorder. In 2012, a paper by the World Health Organization, “Risks to Mental Health: An Overview of Vulnerabilities and Risk Factors,” outlined cultural, community, social, family and individual factors in a variety of settings (e.g., home, family, school, work, community, etc.) that can increase a person’s risk of developing a mental illness at some point in his or her lifespan.
The following factors can increase the risk for mental health problems:
- Cultural: Low socio-economic status, adverse learning environments, media influences, discrimination, social inequalities and social exclusion
- Social: Bullying and other difficulties at school and peer pressure
- Community: Poor housing and living conditions, job insecurity and unemployment
- Family: Family violence or conflict, parental loss, low sense of connection to school or other learning environments, trauma, abuse or other maltreatment and maternal substance use during pregnancy
- Individual: Genetic vulnerability, alcohol and/or drug use, substance abuse, low self-esteem, malnutrition or poor appetite, anti-social behavior and poor physical health
Evidence-based treatments mark our mental health, addiction and other programs.
All our locations treat addiction and dual diagnosis, while some offer additional specialized programs.
We offer adults and adolescents residential, outpatient and other levels of care.
A multidisciplinary team works together to provide the best care for every diagnosis.
Take a virtual tour of one of our facilities or witness changed lives by watching a patient testimonial.