Does My Teen Require Treatment Professionals To Stay Healthy?
Mental illness and substance addiction frequently emerge during the tumultuous teenage years, making a challenging time even more difficult for adolescents and parents alike.
It’s not easy to convince someone to pursue professional treatment, particularly when that someone is a teenager. Research does indicate, however, that the earlier the intervention, the better. Treatment professionals can provide therapeutic remedies to prevent dangerous behavioral patterns from becoming worse.
Signs that your teenager is coping with a mental illness and/or substance addiction include:
- Complaints of physical aches and pains
- Decreased school performance
- Difficulties coping with stress
- Poor appetite
- Low mood
- Too much or too little sleep
- Isolation from friends and family
Co-occurring disorders can make treatment even more complicated and difficult. Multiple conditions can exacerbate each other, making it even more difficult to fully recover. For this reason, adolescents who live with co-occurring conditions often benefit tremendously from professional treatment.
Some signs that your teen might benefit from receiving treatment from a professional team include:
- A history of failed treatment attempts
- Worsening symptoms of addiction and/or mental illness
- Unhealthy coping mechanisms
- Worry from friends and family members
- A rotating, ever-changing series of diagnoses
- Significant negative effects in school and relationships
Many adolescents with co-occurring conditions not only benefit from – but NEED – professionally administered treatment.
About Sovereign Health
Sovereign Health is a rapidly growing collection of residential treatment centers for substance abuse and co-occurring mental disorders. At Sovereign Health of Rancho San Diego, we provide our teenage patients with a quiet, tranquil retreat, where they can focus on their recovery away from the distractions and pressures of everyday life.
For more information about our clinical team and dual diagnosis treatment at Sovereign Health, please contact our 24/7 helpline.