At first, it may seem like young people are simply exhibiting “bad behavior,” but these behaviors may actually be signs of something more serious. Some of the common warning signs that indicate that teens may have an emotional or behavioral condition include:
- Cutting or other self-harming behaviors
- Harming other people or animals
- Drinking, smoking or drug use
- Failing in school
- Stealing or lying
- Frequent arguments and/or temper tantrums
- Skipping school
- Sleep problems (e.g., insomnia)
- Fidgeting or constantly moving
- Crying for no reason
- Oppositional behavior
- Eating problems
- Criminal activity
Behavioral And Emotional Problems In Teens
Behavioral and emotional issues that begin during the teenage years can actually be signs of a mental disorder. Teens who start drinking and using drugs to cope with their problems – whether because their peers are doing it or just for fun – can also increase their risk of developing a substance use disorder. Teens who develop substance use disorders compulsively use alcohol and/or drugs and may have difficulty stopping, even when their drinking or drug use leads to serious problems such as trouble with law enforcement, failing grades in school or poor health.
Behavioral and emotional problems can affect teens’ ability to live happy and fulfilling lives, but effective treatment can help teens overcome these issues.
Sovereign Health’s Rancho San Diego facility offers specialized behavioral health treatment to young men and women who have emotional and behavioral problems, including those that are indicative of a mental disorder, substance use disorder or eating disorder. Rancho San Diego also offers a dual diagnosis treatment program for teens with mental disorders that co-occur with alcohol and/or drug abuse.
Location And Patients Treated
Our behavioral health program for teens is offered at our Rancho San Diego location in El Cajon in San Diego County, California. Our Rancho San Diego facility treats teens ages 12 to 17 who have emotional and behavioral problems. Rancho San Diego’s behavioral health program is licensed by the California Department of Social Services (CDSS) and accredited by The Joint Commission.
Emotional And Behavioral Conditions We Treat
At our Rancho San Diego facility, comprehensive behavioral health treatment programs are offered to young men and women who are affected by emotional and behavioral difficulties such as suicidal ideation, self-harming behaviors, grief and loss, and anger problems.
We also treat the following mental health conditions that affect teens:
- Depressive disorders (e.g., major depressive disorder)
- Bipolar and related disorders
- Anxiety disorders (e.g., generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, phobias)
- Trauma- and stressor-related disorders (e.g., adjustment disorders and post-traumatic stress disorder)
- Obsessive-compulsive and related disorders (e.g., trichotillomania, or hair-pulling disorder)
- Schizophrenia spectrum and other psychotic disorders, including substance- or medication-induced psychotic disorder, brief psychotic disorder and schizoaffective disorder
- Substance use disorders